Universal Account Number (UAN) Status
In today’s digitised world, knowing your UAN status is important because almost every facility extended to EPF members requires an activated UAN. So, how exactly do you find out your UAN status, and why is it so important? Read on to find out. UAN will remain associated with an employee throughout his career.The UAN number is a very important number for working employees.
Note: For UAN activation, review our related article titled, UAN Login: How to Register and Activate your UAN Online.
UAN is a 12-digit permanent number that is allotted to every employee who has an EPF account. In other words, the UAN is like a lifetime EPF identity for every employee. The UAN number is useful when you want to check information regarding your EPF account online. To obtain your UAN, your employer has to submit the required information to the EPFO. However, if you haven’t been allotted a UAN number, then you can check it yourself by finding out your UAN status online.
Benefits of UAN
Before we take a look at how to find out your UAN status, let’s consider briefly the benefits of a UAN.
Once you have activated your UAN, you can do lots of things without using your EPF number. If you have multiple EPF account numbers, then the UAN program becomes even more beneficial. This is because it allows you to access all of your EPF accounts with one permanent UAN. Therefore, even if you change jobs, your UAN stays the same. Below are some of the major advantages of having an activated UAN:
- You can view your EPF balance at any time simply by logging into the member portal or through the mobile app.
- You can also check your EPF status using SMS and missed call service. Refer to our article on PF status for more information on this.
- View and/or download your EPF passbook through the member portal or through the mobile app.
- Apply for EPF withdrawal without your employer’s signature.
- Track the status of your claim for withdrawal. Check out our article on EPF Claim Status for more information on this.
- Transfer your EPF account online.
- Update and change your KYC information on the EPFO portal.
- Download and print your UAN card.
Note: In order to avail some of the above facilities you will also need to link your UAN with your Aadhaar, PAN and bank account details. Read our article titled Link Aadhaar Card with EPFO and UAN for more information on this.
An activated UAN ensures minimal dependency on EPFO and working staff. In addition, you can find out most of the information related to your EPF account yourself without going to your present (or past) employers.
Check UAN Status Online
The main reason you want to check your UAN status is to know if it has been allotted so that you can activate it. The other reason you should check your UAN status is to make sure that all your EPF details are correct. If there are discrepancies between your actual details and those in the EPFO records, you may have difficulty accessing your EPF account.
Before checking your UAN status, make sure you have your 22-digit EPF member id with you.
- Login to the MEMBER e-SEWA
- Click on Know your UAN status.
- On the next screen, a “Know Your UAN” form will appear.
- Click the check box next to Member Id and select the State and Office in which your EPF account is maintained. The first 5 characters of your EPF member id are the Region Code and the PF Office code. The next (maximum) 7 characters are the Establishment Code. The next (maximum) 3 characters are the Extension code. The last (maximum) 7 characters are the Employee number.
- If you don’t have your member id, check the box next to Aadhaar and enter your Aadhaar number.
- If you don’t have your member id or your Aadhaar number, check the box next to PAN and enter your PAN.
- Enter your name (as it appears in the EPFO records), your date of birth, mobile number and Email ID.
- Enter the captcha code.
- Click on Get Authorization Pin.
- You will receive the Pin on your mobile for verification purpose.
- Enter the authorization Pin and click Check Status button.
The Member e-Sewa portal allows employees to get their EPF account information using the universal account number. Hence, if you are an EPF member, find out your UAN and get it activated today to avail all the online facilities.
We hope this data was helpful to you in valuable ways. If you have any questions or doubts, please leave your comments below. Also, remember to visit our site often for EPF related updates.