Today, an activated UAN is more or less a mandatory requirement for all EPF members. Therefore, it’s important to know how to get your UAN login activated so that you can avail all the EPF member facilities. In this article, we’ll shed more light on what the UAN is, and how you can register and activate it.
What is UAN?
The UAN (Universal Account Number) was introduced by the EPFO to give a permanent identity to every EPF account. Subsequently, a separate UAN member portal was created to provide various UAN based facilities.
The UAN initiative of the EPFO has largely turned the tables in favour of employees. With a permanent number related to the EPF account, employees can directly interact with their accounts online. Members can also avail various facilities without having to visit or send constant reminders to their regional EPFOs.
One of the main benefits of the UAN login is the ability to club multiple PF accounts under one umbrella. A UAN also reduces an employee’s dependency on the employer for withdrawals. Moreover, it helps authorities curb defaulters.
Other benefits of having an activated UAN have been outlined in a related article titled UAN Status.
Having a UAN is critical for every employee, but how do you register and activate it? Without further delay, let’s look at the three ways in which you can register and activate your UAN login today.
UAN Login and Activation via Member Portal
To get yourself registered and obtain UAN login credentials, first you need to get your universal account number. To know more about how to find out your UAN, read our article titled Know your UAN Status.
For the online registration process, you will need your EPF member ID and mobile number. Below is the step-wise procedure for UAN login and activation.
- Open the UAN member portal in your browser.
- Click on Activate UAN as shown in the image.
- On the Member e-Sewa portal, a UAN activation form will appear. First, enter your UAN number.
- Click on the check box next to Enter Member Id. Select the State and Office in which your EPF account is maintained. The first 5 characters of your EPF member id are the Region Code and the PF Office code. The next (maximum) 7 characters are the Establishment Code. The next (maximum) 3 characters are the Extension code. The last (maximum) 7 characters are the Employee number. Refer the image below.
- Check the box next to Aadhaar to enter your Aadhaar number.
- Check the box next to PAN to enter your PAN.
- Enter your name (as it appears in your salary slip), your date of birth, mobile number and Email ID.
- Enter the captcha code.
- Click on Get Authorization Pin.
- You will receive the Pin on your mobile for verification purpose.
- Enter the authorization Pin and complete the process of registration.
With the registration process complete, you can visit the UAN member portal to login. Now, you can login every time using your UAN number and password. If you have any query related to your universal account number, then call on 1800 118 005. This toll-free number belongs to the UAN helpdesk. You can also contact the helpdesk via email at email@example.com
The UAN member portal is a major step towards EPF digitalization. We expect to have many other facilities extended on the EPFO portal. Therefore, it’s best to get familiar with it soon.
UAN Activation via Mobile App
In addition to the member portal mentioned above, you can activate your UAN via EPFO’s mobile app. Here are the steps for activating the UAN via the mobile app. Before you proceed, however, you will need to download the app from the EPFO website. At present, the app is only available for the Android OS.
- On the main screen of the app, tap on Member.
- You should see two options: Activate UAN and Balance/Passbook. Tap on the Activate UAN tab.
- On the UAN activate screen, tap on the drop down arrow for select office. Select the office that maintains your EPF account.
- Enter the Establishment Code, Extension and your Employee number. These can be deduced from your EPF member id. Check step no. 4 under “UAN Login and Activation via Member Portal” above for more clarity.
- Enter your 12-digit UAN and mobile number.
- Tap the declaration check box and tap Activate.
This would complete the UAN activation process. You can now avail the various facilities available, including checking your EPF balance and EPF passbook online.
UAN Activation via SMS
In order to activate your UAN via the SMS service, all you need to do is send an SMS to 7738299899. This method is particularly useful for those who do not (or are unable to) have access to computers and smartphones.
To activate via SMS, send EPFOHO ACT,<<12 digit UAN number>>,<<22 digit MemberID>> from your mobile number to 7738299899. For example, if your UAN is 123456789876 and Member ID is XXYYY12345670007654321, then type EPFOHO ACT,123456789876,XXYYY12345670007654321.
Note: there are no spaces before and after the comas in the SMS.
If you are an EPF member, it is highly recommended that you get your UAN activated. UAN login is a major facility for employees because it enables employees to carry out significant EPF-related formalities on their own. The UAN number is valid till your membership is active, regardless of whether you change jobs.
Visit our website often for all your EPF related issues. Whether you need to track PF status or check PF claim status, we’re here to help you find what you’re looking for. In addition, if the above information has been useful, please leave your comments in the box below.